Activities can go where information campaigns do not. These can be not only extremely informative in terms of raising awareness of alcohol in the workplace, but can also be a great opportunity for team building.
You will no doubt have your own ideas as to the sort of activities you could implement, but here's some ideas to get you started.
- Have non-alcoholic cocktail tasters for staff. Have demonstrations on mixing the drinks and recipes to take away.
- Have a range of empty bottles of alcohol (beer, wine, spirits, and alcopops). Have a competition to guess how many units are in each bottle (you can calculate this by multiplying the volume (in ml) by the percentage ABV and then divide by 1000.)
- Have some bottles of wine and spirits filled with water. Get staff to pour a typical home measure from these bottles then calculate how many units they have poured (most people pour at least a double).
- Hold your own Drug Awareness or Drinkwise event.
- Introduce an alcohol and drugs policy.
- Policies should be formally launched with awareness raising events.