Running an awareness activity can be extremely beneficial to employee health, as it not only raises awareness of a particular issue, but can also act as an important team building activity.
Some ideas for Cancer awareness activities:
- Run health fairs for particular cancer types
- Sun awareness events
- Link with local pharmacy for samples or discount on sunscreen
- Specific skin cancer and holiday health events in run-up to summer.
- Link into Europe Against Cancer week during October each year, Breast Cancer Week & summer holiday campaign.
- Link in with any local campaigns on screening services, eg. breast screening service. Mobile screening units can visit large workplaces.
- Highlight mens health as an increasingly important issue
- Allow time-off to attend screening appointments.
- If you have outdoor workers amongst your staff, introduce a strategy for outdoor sun protection.
- Raise money for local hospices, support agencies/groups etc.
- Take part in the Race for Life. Phone Women in Sport on 0141 287 3675
- Support staff members in sponsored activities eg. Womenís 10K, Half Marathon
- Ribbons for Breast Cancer Week, cancer charity sponsored walk.
Your advisor would be happy to assist you with any activities you plan to carry out, and will be able to signpost you to the best resources that will compliment your event (if you are registered for the award). Contact a member of the health at work team for more information.