Whether or nor your workplace has catering facilities, you can still implement fun, interactive activities that raise awareness of good nutritional practice. From fruit taster sessions to cooking classes, there are many ways your organisation can promote a healthier lifestyle through dietary choices.
For workplaces who have catering facilities, you could:
- Develop a nutrition policy for the canteen, with information and awareness raising activities to support the policy.
- Work towards a Healthy Living Award - The Scottish Consumer Council (SCC) and Scottish Governments new healthyliving award is promoted to the food service sector across Scotland. This award will reward businesses who are making it easier for consumers to eat healthily when out and about.
- Promotion of healthy options & information for staff
- offer tasting sessions,
- special healthy offers eg. Free piece of fruit with a healthy sandwich,
- theme weeks, days (Chinese, pasta, breakfast)
- make recipes available.
- open canteen facilities to local community groups
For workplaces who do not have catering facilities, you could:
- provide information and discounts for healthy food at catering outlets
- healthy vending machines, trolleys, sandwich vendors
- on social occasions use outside caterers that offer healthy options
- healthy tuckshop
- area for eating and a sink
- provide kitchen and food storage facilities
- non-smoking food preparation area
- provide cooking and eating utensils, crockery etc
- provide drinking water dispensers
- display information on healthy eating
- Provide healthy recipe information
- introduce sandwich labelling on food made in-house and brought in by outside providers
- Fruit and veg tasters
- Offer staff the option of contributing to weekly fruit order from local greengrocer
- Provide suitable facilities for breastfeeding mothers
- support local food co-ops
Your organisation may already be doing some, or all of the ideas listed above - if so, congratulations! you are on the right path to a nutitionally healthier workplace!
Any activities you carry out will contribute towards part of the Healthy Working Lives award. Please contact your advisor, or any member of the Healthy Working Lives team, for more information.