What should i know?
Equality and Diversity is everyone’s business. Workforce diversity is should be a part of your core business because it impacts on:
- Organisational reputation
- Recruitment and retention
- Risk mitigation
A good reputation attracts the best talent from all communities. Valuing diversity signals an ‘inclusive’ environment for potential staff and services providers. An increasingly diverse population will be entering the employment market and employers need to use the full range of skills, experiences and resources of a diverse workforce.
Getting it wrong can be very expensive as an employer. Complaints and legal challenges are damaging to your reputation and employment tribunals are time consuming and costly. Organisations with an effective approach to diversity are more risk resilient.
Short to Medium Term improvements in business performance through equality and diversity action include:
- Reduce costs
- Resolve labour shortages
- Access new markets
- Improve performance in existing markets
There are a number of legal and political drivers for equality and diversity in Scotland. These can be downloaded from the right hand side section of this page.
What Should I do?
- Make sure your policies and practices incorporate and meet current legislative requirements
- Consider undertaking Workforce Auditing and Profiling (gathering information about the make-up of your workforce)
- Benchmarking – measuring performance against that of best in class or other quality standards
- Equality Impact Assessments – assessing the effects that a function or policy is likely to have on your workforce or customers
- Provide appropriate training and development for staff dealing with key issues E.g. HR staff
- Promote and inform staff, raise awareness of equality and diversity issues via your staffnet site, information boards and newsletters
- Examine your recruitment policies and see if any changes can be made to your practice which increase recruitment from a more diverse population
- Consider the development of a workforce diversity policy
Where can I get Help?